The 2016 Beau Monde Royal Ascot Contest
The Beau Monde Chapter of RWA is pleased to announce the 2016 Royal Ascot contest.
- Open to unpublished authors and published writers seeking representation and/or a publisher.
- All works entered should be unpublished (self or traditional) and uncontracted. Note: A self-published work is considered “published”.
- All entries must have at least partial Regency (Late Georgian) setting, broadly defined: within the United Kingdom between 1780 and 1840.
- Entrants may re-submit any entry that has finaled, but not won the contest in previous years.
- February 1, 2016 – Contest opens Click here to register.
- March 27, 2016 – ** Entry Deadline**
- May 24, 2016 – Finalists announced
- July 13, 2016 – Winners announced at the Beau Monde Soiree on July 13, 2016 (you need not be present to win)
- $24 for Beau Monde members for first entry
- $30 for non-members for first entry
- $20 for each subsequent entry
- First 7,000 words (determined by computer word count) and an optional 1-2 page double-spaced synopsis. If a synopsis is included, please paste it onto the end of your manuscript submission, submitting only one document.
- Entries should be in standard manuscript format (double-spaced, 12 point Courier or Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins, no more than 25 lines per page).
- Headers: Category on the left side of the header and title and page numbers on the right.
- Electronic entries only. No paper entries allowed.
- Entrant’s name should not be anywhere on the entry.
- Format: .doc, .docx or .rtf
Failure to meet the submission guidelines will result in disqualification and a return of your entry fee.
- $100.00 and a certificate for Grand Prize Winner
- $25.00 and a certificate for all Finalists
- Grand Prize Winner and Finalists will be featured in all publicity.
First Round Judges: There will be three judges for each entry, at least one published in Regency Romance. Lowest score will be dropped. In the event of a tie, the third score will determine which entry moves on to the final round.
Final Round Judges:
- Leanne Burroughs, CEO Publisher, The Highland Press
- Allison Byers of The Wild Rose Press
- Brenda Chin of Imajinn/Belle Books
- and more to come!
In first round, the lowest score will be dropped. In the event of a tie, the third score will determine which entry moves onto the final round.
The top four finalists will advance to the final round. Only one grand prize winner will be chosen. If there is a tie in the final round, a 6th agent or editor judge will be brought in, at the discretion of the Beau Monde Board and the contest coordinator, to break the tie.
Categories are used to determine first round judges only, and include:
- Regency Historical (longer Regency or Mainstream Regency-set)
- Hot Regency (Very sensual to Erotic Regency, at author’s discretion)
- Wild Regency (Paranormal, Time Travel, other similar Regency)
- Sweet & Mild Regency (Traditional, Inspirational, Young Adult or other without explicit sex)
The 2016 Royal Ascot Committee
QUESTIONS? NEED HELP?
If you have any questions or need help with your entry, please feel free to contact the contest coordinators at beaumonderoyalascot ( at ) gmail ( dot) com.
Karen DeJong w/a Aedyn Brooks, Royal Ascot Contest Coordinator
Entry deadline March 27, 2016!